Saturday, April 23, 2011

a little bit of luck?

There's a horseshoe above our front door.  We didn't put it up, but I love that it's there.  I usually forget about it completely until I'm sitting out in the right spot in the yard and happen to look up and notice it.  Every time I see it, it makes me smile because it reminds me of my grandpa.  He was a cowboy.  Not a silly city guy that just wore the boots and hat, but a true born and bred cowboy.  People called him Tex. (Or Rip.  He came from a place where everyone had nicknames.)  When I was young he bought a ranch in Idaho and built a log cabin, and hang a horseshoe above his front door.  He said it was for good luck, and as long as it hung upright his life would be filled with riches.  (if the horseshoe falls over, all of your luck will spill out)  I often wonder about who hung it up there, and wonder if maybe they knew him since he used to live right in this area.  Sometimes I think about if I'll take it with me or not when we move someday, but then I think perhaps I'll leave it there to give the next family a bit of luck.

No comments: