Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Down with Christmas!!!


All this stuff about taking away the word Christmas is so stupid. I know there is probably a more intelligent way to express my feelings on the subject, but it really just comes down to being stupid. I recently read an article about how Costco no longer carries Christmas presents or decorations, they carry holiday presents and decorations. I realize there is more than one holiday that is celebrated in the winter months, but one of them happens to be CHRISTMAS!! Why are we not allowed to call the holiday what it is? I can't understand how and why people are offended by this. I am a Christian and my family celebrates Christmas. However, when someone wishes me a Happy Hanukkah, I thank them and wish the same back. I'm not offended and I don't feel they are tying to convert me, I take it simply that they are wishing me joy and merriment during this festive time of year. If you don't like Christmas, just don't celebrate it. Don't walk into that back corner of the store that holds all the decorations. Just get on with your activities and let the rest of us get on with ours. Stores and the media have basically stripped away every trace of the origin of the Christmas holiday, do we really need to change the name too? What's next, Easter? Shall we just call it happy egg hunting day or happy candy basket day? If you really want to get political, you could argue that taking away the word Christmas both takes away our right to freedom of speech and freedom of religion. Ponder that one for a moment. It's OK to say Merry Christmas, and if you happen to not celebrate that holiday, just take the sentiments as they are meant- wishing you peace and happiness.

No comments: