Wednesday, September 9, 2009

That's it, I'm old


Today Bella and I had to make a run to Toys-R-Us, and since we were there, we decided to mosey around the store a bit and see what's new. (by the way, when was the last time YOU moseyed?) One of the new items they had out on demo was the Splatster from Fisher Price. Basically it's an electronic art system you hook up to your TV. I realize there are a couple different "art" activities on this toy, but the one we looked at was spin art. When I was a kid (there, I said it. The official "you're getting old" phrase), spin art was something you did with paper, paint, and a little machine that was covered in a rainbow of splattered paint and had a spinning thingy in the middle that you clipped your paper on. Sure the "spin art" on the screen looked kind of neat when we finished, but then what? Do you print it out to hang it up? (I don't even know if you can print your creations with this machine) Maybe I'm just odd, but I think it's much cooler to hang up a paint project that has been made with real paint. What's wrong with good old fashioned crayons and markers? Real plastic stencils? Paper and sticky white glue you peel off you fingers? Perhaps I'm just too old to "get it" anymore.

No comments: