Saturday, July 31, 2010

It's just hair! Or is it?

My whole life people have fussed about my hair; the unusual color, the thickness, and the natural curls and waves.  I always thought those people were crazy. The unusual color- it means I actually have to think about my hair clashing with the color of my clothes.  The thickness- means it takes forever to dry and gets very, very heavy when long.  The natural waves and curls- it means my hair leans towards frizz when the weather is damp; something I never have to worry about here in the Pacific Northwest. (insert big eye roll)  Hair has just never been that big of a deal to me.  However, and this is a big however, I've always had more than plenty of it and no matter how many times or how short I cut it, it always grows back.  That is not the story for everyone though, as is the case with my friend who's 11 year old daughter has been diagnosed with Alopecia.  Unfortunately it recently became clear that this brave young lady was going to need a hair piece, but human hair wigs are very costly.  The family is asking for hair donations that can be made into a nice, vacuum sealed wig for this young lady, which is what I did today.  I keep my hair long mainly just because Jeremy likes it that way, but when I heard their request, how could I possibly not donate?  After all, for me, it is just hair.  I had two 10 inch ponytails cut off today (that darn thick hair, they couldn't even cut it off in 1 ponytail), and after trimming up what was left, I lost a total of about 12 inches.  I have to say, it feels awesome to have a whole new hair style, even if my hair guy had to take a few deep breaths and talk himself into cutting off all my hair!  I didn't take any before/after pics, but I'm sure I can find a recent photo and take one of my new 'do' soon.  It's a strange feeling to give up something that has little importance to me at this stage in my life, but knowing fully that I would feel very very different if the roles were reversed.  I suppose that feeling can best be summed up as grateful. 

If you think you have a minimum of 10 inches of hair that you would like to donate to this young lady (regardless of color or texture), let me know and I will get you in touch with the family. 

No comments: