Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Oh geeze

Elijah's current obsession is orca whales; he talks about them CONSTANTLY.  Last night I dug out an old photo album of my trip to Disneyland, Universal Studios, Sea World, and Sand Diego Zoo when I was a kid.  I thought he might like to look at the photos of the orcas, and maybe if I was lucky, he'd stop asking me questions for 5 minutes.  While flipping through the photos, he saw one of King Kong at Universal.  He brought me the album and questioned me about the terrifying monster.  I tried to explain to him that it was only a robot, not real.  He kept asking me if it was a real robot, and I repeatedly told him it was pretend, it was a robot, it was not real.  Finally I realized that Elijah thought robots were autonomous creations and quickly explained to him that robots were not real things with their own thoughts and actions.  He replied "oh...... I thought robots were real....... like aliens............"  Oh geeze, say what now?  What followed was a 10 minute conversation that finally ended with me agreeing "yup, God got rid of all the aliens, even the ones on Mars...."  Sometimes I just don't even know with that boy.

No comments: