Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What happened to your manners young lady!


Tonight I made tacos for dinner. Since I'm a vegetarian I use veggie soy crumbles in place of ground beef. There are a couple different brands we buy, and tonight this happened to be the one I used. When it comes to the kid's food choices, they know they are allowed to tell me if there is anything they don't like, but they are required to be polite about it. (I find it rude when someone says something is gross and makes a fuss while the person next to them is happily eating that particular item) Genna is normally a very polite little girl and never wants to say anything that will offend someone, which is why tonight she left me almost speechless when she took a bite of the veggie crumbles and proclaimed "this dirt is great!" I thought she was being sarcastic, and rude to boot. I reminded her about my rule when she doesn't like something and asked her why she would say such a thing. She fumbled over her words for a minute until I point blank asked her why she called it dirt. Her response "because it comes from the ground". I was still puzzled and asked her what she was talking about when she reminded me the product is called Smart Ground, and she had read the name on the package. I guess for her Smart Ground = ground = dirt. After that I felt terrible for scolding her, but also so proud of her for the fact that she thought I had served up dirt and tried it without one hint of protest!

No comments: