Friday, September 5, 2008

Announcement!


I have made my homeschool decisions, and I am announcing them publicly so that I won't change my mind between now and when I place the order in the next couple of days. For our main curriculum, we will be going with Five In A Row. I like the fact that I can beef it up as needed for Genna, but will be gentle and easy enough for Elijah and Bella to do also. (I need to combine as much as possible to save time and sanity) Five in a row provides lessons in art, social studies, language arts, science, and applied math. (a different lesson each day) Elijah and Bella will be using Explode the Code for extra language arts practice, and Genna will use the Queen's Language Lessons. Each child will use Singapore math at their own levels. The girls will use Reason for Handwriting and Elijah will use Handwriting Without Tears. In addition to the science lessons provided by Five In A Row, I have put together my own under the sea study for this year. We will be ordering the Aquarium Guide from the Answers in Genesis company to use along with our membership to the Seattle Aquarium. Genna will be using Rosetta Stone to learn Chinese, and will do a light year long study on China to go with it. (I've found some great books for her, and will be using resources from Letter Of The Week which now offers country of the week) We will be reading American Girl books for a little added history, and I will probably pick up a copy of Story Of The World Vol. 1. (Genna loves history) Just for fun, I'm going to get the Frances book pack and study guide from Rainbow Resources. I've always loved the Frances books, and I think the kids will also. During the month of December we will put most formal academics on hold and devote the month to religious studies. I even found a website that gave Bible verses, activities, recipes, etc.... for every day of Advent. I'm also ordering a handful of books from Sonlight (some are just read-aloud chapter books, some are books to go along with the Five In A Row titles), and a bunch from Scholastic. Honestly though, I order a handful of Scholastic books with almost every book order they send me. With the bonus points, $1 books, freebies, and coupons, you just can't beat the amount paid for the amount of books! I was able to get the Five In A Row cookbook from one of the mom's in our homeschool group, so we will be doing a lot of cooking this year. I'm also getting a handful of items for Isaac with my orders, to keep him happy and busy while we work. (puzzles, turning magnetic gears, lacing beads, board books, etc.....) I'm also picking up a couple new floor puzzles for the kids, a couple new games, musical instruments, and lots of art supplies. It's going to be a busy, but super fun year I think!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm tired just reading this. I'm glad you are not my teacher! You're tough! You could teach the teachers woman!

Rene' said...

You go Aubrey! Gina has Story of the World Vol.1 that she will sell to you as a bundle... new (cd's and book). ;o)