Thursday, January 28, 2010

Food for thought

Last night the kids and I watched the documentary, Food Inc. Very interesting indeed. A lot of what was said were things that I had already learned recently (such as how corn is in EVERYTHING from poptarts to diapers), but there were a few things mentioned that really surprised me. One thing I found incredibly heartbreaking is that today, minority children have a 1 out of 2 chance of developing type 2 diabetes. 1 OUT OF 2!!!! That is sickening to me. The documentary interviewed a minority family, who showed why fast food seems like the better short term option, but once in that rut, it becomes very hard to break out. My kids were pretty shocked by what they learned, but shocked in a good way. I recommend others watch this film. Our country is getting fatter and sicker every year, and it's important to understand why and how this is happening. Do you really know that's in your food?

No comments: