Wednesday, October 15, 2008

DEBATE #3 and financial crisis

Genna has been very interested in the presidential race this year, and I think she has a pretty good grasp on what's going on in the world today for her young age of 7. She's been watching a lot of news programs, reading some stuff with me on the Drudge Report, and has been asking LOTS of questions. She watched the last debate with me, and watched again with me tonight. It's really interesting to watch the debates with her because I love seeing what she understands and how she perceives the candidates. What's even more fun is that we support different candidates so we are able to have our own debates at home! Despite our different support, she said a couple things tonight that I really liked. First, she asked why the men kept interrupting each other. She said it makes them look rude, impatient, and doesn't make them seem like they would be responsible presidents. After the debate she had something to say about the analyzers. I believe her exact words were "why in the world do we need these people to tell us what the men said? We heard them already, they told us their stuff themselves! We're smart Americans, we don't need these people to tell us this stuff" HAHAHA! I love it! I 100% agree that we don't need analyzers to tell us this person looked this direction, that person kept saying a certain phrase, blah blah blah....... I do like the fact checkers though to make sure the candidates are being honest.

Additionally, she has been pretty interested in the financial crisis going on. Over the summer we read the American Girl Kit series and talked a LOT (I mean a LOT) about the depression, so she already had that knowledge base when asking about the current financial situation of our country. When I explained about AIG to her, her response was "What a bunch of greedy booger-butts. If I wasted all my money and had to beg for more, I wouldn't blow any of it on a vacation! I'd save it and spend it responsibly and work hard to pay back the money to the person that gave it to me" Love it, love it, love it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Genna is quite a little girl! I've enjoyed reading about your family and she is just a crack-up! And very wise for a 7 year old too!