Monday, October 20, 2008

How do you do it?

As a mother of many, I get asked this question a LOT. So, I thought I'd take a shot at giving an answer for once. (normally I just smile and don't say anything)

First, I pray often. I pray that God turns me into the mother that my children need me to be. There is no sense in trying to turn myself into what I might think the ideal mother is if it is not what is best for my kids. I pray often for patience, guidance, and understanding of my children. So far, God hasn't let me down! (and I believe he never will)

Second, I have a GREAT partner in life. Jeremy truly is my partner. He picks up the slack when I need it, he picks me up when I'm down, he celebrates my accomplishments, and always forgets my shortcomings. We don't always see eye to eye on everything, but for the most part I think we compliment each other well and make a good team. We also team up with the kids and our family motto is "we are all in this together." It just makes life easier if everyone works together for our family.

I also prioritize what's important. Will my kids remember that all of their clothes were washed in a timely manner and folded neatly in their drawers or will they remember working together in the garden or playing marcco polo in the living room on rainy days. Of course I don't know the answer for sure at this early stage in life, but so far signs point to them caring more about quality time with a mom than a perfectly picked up house. One of my favorite poems by Harland E. Fitch:

When I think of the fish
that have waited for me,
That have waited for me
in the depths of the sea,
In the turbulent streams
and the rollicking brooks,
While I slaved at my work
and toiled over my books,
And never took time
for a season of play
Where the finny sports-master
drive trouble away,
I'm sorry I've been
such a diligent cuss
And let the fish wait
while I worry and fuss
And grow old too soon,
with no time but to wish;
Now I'll let the work wait
while I play with the fish.
There will be as much work
when my work days are done;
If I can't do it all,
then why live on the run?
Let me live while I live
ere my limit is past
If I miss all the bliss
what is left at the last?
I have learned it pays well
if I slacken my gait,
Take time out for pleasure
and let the work wait.
Having a lot of kids really isn't as chaotic as a lot of people think it is. When a new person joins the family there is a period of adjustment, but then the new amount of kids just becomes the new reality and you forget all about what life was like just a few months earlier. For us, having 5 isn't any different than having 2, just more little socks to match up.
I do have to say I find it very important to have good friends and family around because sometimes we all just need a break!
But really it all comes down to the kids. They are wonderful people. I think I learn from them just as much as they learn from me. I have found they each have traits that I have come to admire and really respect them for. I love the way they love each other, and it is my sincere hope that they will remain the best of friends in life. Of course they are not perfect people, and I'm not a perfect mother, so we teach each other about forgiveness and grace.
We all are just doing the best we can, and hopefully we'll all come out OK in the end.

No comments: