Saturday, November 8, 2008

giving




This is the time of year when people start looking around for other people to help. It's the spirit of the season! However, I see something often and it really rubs me the wrong way. Don't think of this as a vent as much as a public service announcement. So often when I see people buying food for food banks, gifts for giving trees, or even when adopting a family for a holiday, they often go the super cheap route. Now, I'm not talking about good bargains and sales, there is nothing wrong with that! I'm talking about how people will often buy the really cheap food that they don't even feed to their own families. People buying toys at the dollar store that they wouldn't dream in a million years of giving to their own kids. (I'm not knocking dollar stores, those places get some really great stuff sometimes! But, they also get some stuff that isn't so great, and some of it isn't even safe) When giving to charity I try to keep this in mind: If it's not good enough for me and my kids, it's not good enough for them either. We have always been extremely blessed and have never had to rely on one of the wonderful programs out there to help us supply a Christmas for our children, but for the people that do, why should they be forced to make the decision to give their children nothing or give them garbage? Yes, I know beggars can't be choosers, and I don't think the families signing up for these programs should ask for leather jackets and Xbox systems (I know some of them do, but if I can't afford those for my kids then I can't afford them for yours either!), but they do deserve to have nice things under their tree. I also see the toy donation bins at stores like Toys R US FILLED with whatever the cheap toy with purchase is that year. (this year it's Wonder Pets for $4.99 with any $50 purchase) Sure, pick up the cheap toy with purchase, but consider also tossing in a Tonka truck or a Barbie too! This holiday season, if you have been blessed with enough that you are able to share with others, truly consider what you are giving and who you are giving it to.

No comments: