Thursday, January 8, 2009

horror movies

I do not understand the point of horror movies. They don't make you laugh, they don't make you feel good, and if they make you cry, it isn't that "feel good, I totally understand that person's pain" type of cry. I honestly do not understand how people get enjoyment from watching others be tortured and murdered; even if it is just pretend. The biggest problem I have is the fact that I can't just pretend these vile things don't exist, because even during comedy programs on TV, they show commercials for these awful things! I can't even stand to watch the previews for these flicks, they creep me out. In my opinion, these just fill your mind with unnecessary evil. It bothers me to no end that some people even find these types of movies funny. There are enough heartbreaking, terrible things in this world, why do people feel the need to turn that into entertainment? I really do not understand it.

1 comment:

Luke Holzmann said...

I'm not a fan of the horror genre either. But I do see, a bit, why people can enjoy it: It allows them to confront their fears, to consider their motivations/actions/responses to evil, and to question their own lives. Almost all horror flicks are morality plays--making rather strong commentary on right and wrong.

It is not a genre that I find particularly interesting or enjoyable, but when I listen to people who like those kinds of flicks, I get a glimpse of what they see in them.

~Luke