Saturday, January 31, 2009

cover to cover


So, as part of my broad New Year's resolution to focus less on the world and more on God, I decided I would read the Bible cover to cover. I've never done it, and don't know as much about the Bible as I would like, so I figure now is as good a time as any. So far God has really helped me with my resolution. Over the past couple weeks I have lost interest in majority of the shows I used to watch on TV. (I don't watch TV during the day, but often would turn it on at night, after the kids go to bed, to entertain me while I waited for Jeremy to get home) I have ZERO desire to turn on Desperate Housewives or any of the other rather stupid smutty dramas that I used to put on. Since now I only like a very few shows, that leaves more time at night for more productive things. There was just one terribly embarrassing problem with my plan: I didn't own my own Bible! Now do not misunderstand, our home is not without Bibles. It's just that the last Bible I personally owned was a teen study Bible. Jeremy has a wonderfully put together study Bible, so after we got married I just always grabbed his when I wanted to read. We also have a kids study Bible that I use with the children, and a good handful of Bible story books for kids as well. I just really wanted to get a Bible of my own. So, Jeremy and I took a trip to Family Christian and I came across this Bible. The Family Life Marriage Bible: Equipping Couples for Life from Dennis and Barbara Rainey. It's not a study Bible, but it has some wonderful commentary, devotions, and ideas for marriage and parenting. I decided it was exactly what I wanted right now, and so far, I've been very pleased. I read through Genesis (and Song of Solomon just for fun, but I'm going to read the whole thing cover to cover), and I was so delighted by some of the commentary/devotions/ideas that I asked Jeremy to read some of them too. He decided he's going to join me on my Bible reading journey, and that we will use our Bibles side by side. His Bible is a fantastic study Bible and provides so much insight to what is happening in the scripture, while mine is just what we need to bring our whole family closer together. He's going to read through Genesis so he can catch up to me, and then we will read through together. I know it's going to take a long time, but I'm really excited to see where this journey will take us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I will pray for your commitment and learning during this wonderful time. Way to go! I look forward to learning along with you as you post here. I started reading through Jeremiah on Jan. 1st, a chapter a day. Made it a whole month!

Anonymous said...

How is it going?! Your life is never the same once you fill it with God's Word!

Aubrey said...

So far things are going well. I'm into Leviticus now!