Monday, January 5, 2009

I blinked and he's a kid

Being a mother of many, I try to always keep in mind that my children are all different with different talents and abilities, and mature at different rates in different areas. I try to not set one standard for each of them to meet, but adjust according to their own capabilities and let them set their own standards. With Isaac being the 4th in line, he sort of went from baby to toddler overnight and joined right in with the rest of the crew. He has already potty trained himself (he started going all by himself a couple months ago, and it really only took a few weeks before I knew I could even take him out in public without a diaper. He was very successful very quickly, all on his own doing) The other night he had a bit of a cough, so I gave him a cup of juice to help his throat. He was playing on the floor while drinking his juice, and Nahshon came over and spilled it. Isaac was upset and wanted more juice, so I decided to pour it in a sippy cup to avoid the spill from happening again. Isaac looked at the cup very puzzled, tried to take a few sips, and then handed it back in frustration saying only "help!". It's then that I realized, he's never used a sippy cup! He's always wanted to be just like the big kids, and he went from bottles to regular cups. He had no idea how to work a sippy cup spout. It was sort of a funny moment to realize that he had kind of skipped right over one developmental stage and moved onto the next without me even realizing it. I guess to Isaac being one of the big kids looked a lot more fun than being one of the babies!

No comments: