Sunday, January 18, 2009

This is completely normal..........right?


Is it odd that at midnight I see my 2 year old roll past my bedroom and say "hey mom, I ride my bike!" ? Is it strange that at 2am that same little guy wakes me up to play a round of go fish? I'm sure all mothers are used to waking up at 4am by strange sounds in the kitchen only to find their toddlers making themselves a snack which consists of a rice cake with jam and a small bowl of yogurt, right? Is it weird that I also get woken up at 6am because he wants to color in his Curious George coloring book while watching the Curious George dvd? All 2 year olds do this........ right?



Before you even ask, the answer is no, he does not take naps during the day. My mother-in-law has told me many stories about how Jeremy drove her bonkers because he never slept. I always just laughed because my first 3 sleep like perfect angels. They slept all night, and even napped until age 4/5!! I figured my mother-in-law was just exaggerating, and that no child could possibly function on as little sleep as she claimed Jeremy got. Well, I WAS WRONG! Isaac is an unstoppable machine that just keeps going. I make sure he gets plenty of exercise, and we've tried all the "tricks" that usually help normal kids to settle down to sleep. The biggest problem is that when he is tired, he CRASHES ON THE SPOT. It doesn't matter what he's doing, he will fall asleep if he's tired, and there is no way to keep him up. Unfortunately when he falls asleep early (like 7pm), one simple hour long nap can keep him going for another 5 hours. His battery recharges very quickly. Now, I am all for stopping bad behavior in it's tracks, but to be perfectly honest, at 4am it is sometimes easier to just open the jam jar and stumble back to bed rather than tying to argue with a headstrong 2 year old.


Anyone want to borrow a very cute, funny, and "energetic" little boy for a night or two?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll laugh at your comical little boy, but I don't think I'm taking him on anytime soon! I guess you'll have entertainment when you're up with the next son. Sorry, couldn't resist. I'd really like to encourage you, but I've never experienced anything like that!! I love how you write about it. Keep at it, friend!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that I am glad my 2 year old is still in a crib! I hear her put on her music throughout the night so I wonder what she would be like if she could get out of bed? Yikes! I agree with Stephanie, you will have a great little entertainer when you are up with the new babe! The cool thing is that you just roll with it and cherish the moment!