Tuesday, January 6, 2009

school book


At the last minute my instructor for my Medical Law and Ethics class added a novel called My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult to our required list of books. I was very uncertain about this book for a few reasons. First, in all the classes I have taken in college, I have never enjoyed one single required reading text. (and I'm not including standard text books in that category, I'm talking about "normal" books we are required to read) All of the books I've been required to read in my college career have been horribly boring. The type where it's a painful chore to turn each page rather than an exciting journey. Secondly, I was doubtful after seeing it on the New York Times Best Seller list. It seems I rarely enjoy books that are hugely popular among mainstream media. (and this book has stellar reviews all over) I have checked out many supposedly great books at the library only to find them a terrible waste of my time, and returned them before even getting half way through. The only thing that could have turned me off even more was having the Oprah Book Club stamp on it! (yes, I'm one of those women that doesn't subscribe to the church of Oprah) Thirdly, I was concerned about the topic of the book because I'm pregnant. While I normally would love a good medical story, I tend to stay away from this exact type of thing when pregnant. (hormones and all that) Because of that, I will confess, I did some searching on Google to find out the ending of the book. (I don't need any Kleenex filled surprises, thank you) I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I read the book in two days. (It's around 425 pages) It was heartbreaking, but intriguing. I think what I found most interesting is that this isn't some science fiction story taking place 200 years from now. This book is exploring a real issue that is happening now, today.
Here is a short synopsis:
Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate - a life and a role that she has never questioned… until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister - and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable… a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life… even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less?
It is certainly a thought provoking book. It was interesting to read this story from the point of view of being a mother and a Christian. I have to keep the book on hand for my assignments for the remainder of my class, but in the spring if anyone would like to read it, let me know and I'd be happy to lend it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have another girlfriend who really enjoyed this book as well; thought I'd enjoy it. I"m glad you found one that you like!
You sound like you're making some really great forward progress. Proud of you! Missed Genna at gymnastics recently. Still paying for that??

mary grace said...

Interesting premise ... I'd love to hear your thoughts after you've had time to mull it over a little more!